Thursday, September 9, 2010

Where my ladies at?

It's a conundrum: where do queer women of color go? How do you find them?! And then I thought about it... and I'm one of those queer women of color who's hard to find. I don't particularly like going to the club. In true lesbian fashion, I prefer to have beers with the girls and in true southern-black fashion, there's nothing more satisfying to me than a shindig. I'm not an easy person to get to know, either. This lead me to a few conclusions:

1) LGBTQ ladies of color are hard to find because many of us just don't like to make "our business" known.

2) We might not be in the club because we just straight up don't club! I know quite a few queer women of color who, frankly, don't like to club. It's a chore, a tiresome sustenance to our sex lives.

3) You have to know people to know where we go. Networking is essential because where to go might not be a public place but rather, a residence or fleeting private event.

It's a sad truth to live with but the only solution to the problem I can offer is to meet people. Constantly meet people! And do your damnedest to not fall prey to small community syndrome. Keep it fresh, ladies, keep it fresh! Nothing sucks more than becoming best friends with your only options...

No comments:

Post a Comment