Friday, September 24, 2010

Pretty Little Liars and It's Queer Little Co-star

Emily and Maya
I don't watch television on television, so bear with me. I'm just hearing of Pretty Little Liars now. And when I watched the first episode, I admit that I wasn't sure if I would make it through the first season. Teenage dramas. Ugh. But anyway, it's an ABC Family show about a group of five friends, how one of them disappeared and their secrets. The more morbid aspects personally saves this show for me (Dexter meets Powerpuff Girls? ...Maybe?). But what excited me the most, the character Emily. You see, Emily's secret is that she likes girls. She's played by Filipina/Irish/Scottish actress Shay Mitchell. And her interest? Maya, played by another beautiful woman of color, actress Bianca Lawson. You get kisses! And you get a relationship between two girls that seems to be coming back for the second season! 

Queer women of color are really gaining face in the media. It's no longer limited to just HBO and Showtime, nor to just adults... nor white women... nor a woman of color with a white woman (not that I'm opposed).

http://abcfamily.go.com/shows/pretty-little-liars/photos/



No comments:

Post a Comment