Thursday, April 14, 2011

Hanna [*****]


I thought the action flick was dead to me. Female heroes and villains doomed to be violent, bitter sex symbols in really uncomfortable-looking "clothing." And so my hopes for Hanna weren't especially high; I make it a point to set low bars for Hollywood, so as to make the experience seem like it was worth the $11. But Hanna did me a service, and said yes to blockbuster and no to formulas. It also doesn't seem to be a remake (I did a little IMDb research). But, however, in addition and MOST IMPORTANTLY! It meets Alison Bechdel's Bechdel Rule: 

(1) It has to have at least two women in it, who (2) talk to each other about (3) something that isn’t a man.

This flick boasted two of my favorite actresses, Saoirse (pron. seer-shuh... beautiful I know) Ronan and Cate Blanchett, some satisfactory action, and a little Sapphic splash. It's quirky and bad-ass all at once (which in retrospect isn't all that surprising. It's a Focus Features film; I tend to love those). Anyway, go see it.

1 comment: