Sunday, July 18, 2010

Welcome!

Welcome to Kandəke (CAN-DUH-KEE), a blog designed by a queer woman of color, for queer women of color, predominantly about queer women of color culture, media and life in general. All readers are welcome!

Kandeke is a play on kandake (also, kantake), an ancient Nubian word meaning Nubian warrior queen. This word survives in English today as the name Candace. I chose this word not only because of its empowering attachment to well-respected, uncompromising women in ancient African civilization, but also because Africa is the cradle of civilization, and as such, all-encompassing. I wish that, through this blog, I can offer a space for women of color to know what’s out there by them, for them; to openly celebrate LGBTQ culture, life and progress; and to simply pass the time.

I can only hope this blog will be as much fun for you to read and discuss as it is for me to research and write it. Shall we begin?

No comments:

Post a Comment